Starting-up the spirit

At this year’s Homecoming 2002 Kickoff, it’s plausible that a student could stuff his face with cake and chicken wings, wash it down with a smoothie, attach a bungee cord to his waist and run until he snaps back, climb a rock wall, test his quarterbacking skills and have a goofy looking caricature of himself drawn up.

It’s not recommended in that order, but it’s plausible.

And it’s free.

The start-up event for this year’s week-long celebration of school pride, begins Nov. 4 at MLK Plaza.

The event will be highlighted with appearances by USF Provost S. David Stamps and football Head Coach Jim Leavitt.

At 2 p.m., this year’s volleyball competition will commence at the fine art’s field. Twenty-four teams will compete over the course of homecoming week, with the winning team being announced at halftime of Saturday’s nights football game against Memphis at 7.

The homecoming court will be introduced around noon and booths will also be set up inside the Phyllis P. Marshall Center for students to cast their votes for king and queen.

Robert Herron, chairman for the Kickoff, is excited about the string of events that have been put together for this year.

“It’s awesome, and everyone should come,” he said. “Everything will be free, and it’s a great opportunity to show support for USF.”

But it won’t be all fun and games.

Students will be able to donate blood from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday at the Special Events Center, and Herron said polls for the gubernatorial election will also be set up in the Marshall Center.

Contact Ryan Meehanat oracleeditor@yahoo.com