MC to get food face-lift

At least four new establishments will be added to USF’s campus as part of a plan to expand food services in the Phyllis P. Marshall Center.
Starting in late November Joe Synovec, assistant director for student affairs, said changes will begin to improve selection and the student union’s appearance. Synovec said one of the main changes will be renovation to the 4th-floor restaurant, Campus View, which will be renamed Horizons.
The restaurant will reopen with a bright, tropical theme. Synovec said construction will begin after the Thanksgiving holiday. Horizons is expected to be completed by the spring semester.
Synovec said the addition of an Einstein’s Bagels will be a major task because the shop will be identical in décor to most Einstein’s Bagels.
“It’s going to be a great change,” Synovec said. “Einstein’s will be great for students and the whole community.”
Plans have been drawn up by Aramark dining services and Einstein’s Bagels, but Synovec said he and Conway have not seen the drawings.
In the summer the Tampa Room Food Court will undergo a renovation as well. Synovec said the project is expected to take all summer to complete. Guy Conway, director for student affairs, said the renovations will give students more options.
“I’m very excited about the project because with the renovated Campus View Restaurant and the Tampa Room, we’re going to be able to offer better services for the students,” Conway said.
“It’s going to be a 100 percent change in quality, and it will resemble a mall food court,” Synovec said.
Tom Williamson, resident district manager for USF dining, said a focus group for the renovations was formed late last month. The group, which consisted of Tom Kane, director of residence services, Conway, Andy Festa, resident housing assistant and Dave Mincberg, SG vice president, came together to formulate new ideas and get feedback for new food services, Williamson said.
Festa said he supports student involvement for major decisions that impact USF. “I’m really happy about the student involvement because often the student view is overlooked,” Festa said.
Festa said he is looking out for the students who live on campus.
“Aramark is really willing to work with us and is considering our ideas and concerns,” Festa said.
Williamson said a Natural Food Selections store would be added in late November, which serves healthier natural and organic foods.
“Our goal is to create quality service and to have more people dining on campus instead of off campus,” Williamson said.
Freshman Audrey Stewart said she likes the option of eating healthy on campus.
“I think it’s better to have a healthy food place to eat at,” Stewart said. “I like the idea that they’re changing the place.”
Senior Lena Malavenda said she doesn’t like to eat on campus because of the food choice.
“I think the change is a good idea because I don’t like the food here,” Malavenda said.