Tampa Theatre hosts annual indie film fest tonight

Leaving mainstream movie theaters tends to separate the serious filmgoers from the escapists. Being able to leave behind the multi-million dollar Hollywood productions can be a brave step toward enjoying new voices from the world of filmmaking. To help those who want to experience the fresh view of today’s writers and directors, The Tampa Theatre again hosts the Independents’ Film Festival.
In its ninth year, the festival brings together a vast array of cinematic art and combines 14 independent movies ranging in length from one minute to more than an hour and a half (with some of the longer films cut to fit the 2-hour ceremony).
It is a presentation of animation, documentary, short film and full-length features.
The writers/directors come not only from the United States but also from such countries as Uruguay, Czech Republic and Australia.
The festival showcases everything from the emotions of crazed Bucs fans, to two young girls trying to undo a theft, to a mad scientist bringing about an era of frightening politics.
The scope of the festival has also been expanded from previous years to include an educational component open to the public. On Saturday, a moderated panel discussion, “Coffee with the Independents,” will allow the filmmakers to discuss what drove them to the creation of their films as well as what they had to go through in order to make production possible.

The Ninth Annual Independents’ Film Festival takes place tonight at the Tampa Theatre at 7 p.m.
Admission is $5.50 for all.

“Coffee with the Independents” will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Tampa Museum of Art.
Admission is free.