The Week Ahead

Heart of Darkness

Up the Dosage
Reception: Friday, 7-10 p.m.
Exhibit: Sept. 6-28
Hyde Park Fine Arts
937 South Howard Ave.

A joint display of the works of three bay area artists includes sociological satire, dark-natured, cartoon-like imagery, and figurative plays on emotion and human nature. One of the artists, Brandon Dunlap, a painter, printmaker and ceramicist, is currently enrolled in the Master’s program at USF.

Last Chance

Forms of Cubism
Ends Saturday
Salvador Dali Museum
1000 Third Street South, St. Petersburg

This exhibition examines in three dimensions the first major modern art movement. Forms of Cubism showcases several artists working with Picasso and the Paris art scene before and during World War I and features an extensive history of the sculpture of the Avant-Garde between 1909 and 1919. Organized by the Museo Naciona Rina Sofia, Madrid, co-produced with the Dali Museum.

Eye Candy

“Northern Europe and the Haunts of Van Gogh”
Reception: Saturday, 7-11 p.m.
Exhibition: Sept. 3-28
223 N. 12th Street (corner of Kennedy and Channelside Drive)

Coming from the urban artist who fathered MOSI’s Recyclosaurus, the painting exhibition by Terry Klaaren brings a change of pace and topic to the art world. His series of “plein aire” pastel and acrylic canvases showcase a painting trip to Europe and places where Van Gogh painted in the 1880s. A limited edition of prints and a companion book to the show will be available for sale.

All that Jazz

Faculty Recital: Faculty Collage
Monday, 8 p.m.
Music Recital Hall
$6 adults, $4 students and seniors

Every Monday this semester, the School of Music has made an attempt to bring a faculty or a faculty-guest recital to the USF student body. This week, the focus will lie on elegant, modern, classical chamber music. The performers, including pianist Corey Merenda from the Bonk Festival and Dr. Kay Lowe as the vocalist, will play pieces from composers such as George Crumb and Howard Buss. The concert will conclude with an ancient text from the Buddhist tradition, led by Dr. Laurence Sherr. Dhammapada.

Foreign Flicks

Tango, part of the Foreign Film Festival
Tuesday, 7 p.m.
Marshall Center Room 296

This week’s selection was written and directed by one of Spain’s most acclaimed film personas, Carlos Saura. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film in 1999. The movie is a visceral homage to the art of tango, its cultural and emotional impact and importance. It is a story about falling in love, freedom of expression and the quest of one director’s creative vision of the supreme tango film. The event is open to the public and is free of charge. Complimentary snacks and drinks will be provided.

A Moment to Reflect

In Memoriam: New York City, 9/11/01
Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., Sunday 2 p.m.
Gulf Coast Museum of Art
12211 Walsingham Rd, Largo

The museum will show HBO’s documentary film on the events of Sept. 11. The film follows the mayor and his staff from the moment of the arrival of the news, through the times of sorrow and desperation, to the realization of new strengths that later emerged in the city . The event is free of charge and open to the public.

Only TIME Will Show

TIME “Person of the Year at 75”
Opens Wednesday
Runs through Oct. 27
Florida International Museum

This traveling multimedia exhibition, stopping in St. Petersburg as one of only nine U.S. cities it will visit, recognizes those who have made a significant impact on the world. This year marks the 75th anniversary of the annual tradition of TIME’s Person of the Year award. Included in the exhibit are a chronological collection of TIME Person of the Year covers with commentary from both the original issues of TIME and from modern readers. Historic photographs, original artifacts and artwork capture the nature of the various ages, while a 10-minute video illustrating the selection process including interviews with former and current TIME managing editors gives the audience an insight into the famed tradition.

9/11 Memorials on Campus

Where Were You That Day?

We Remember
Tuesday 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Business Lawn

Join the Campus Activities Board as they remember the events of Sept. 11. CAB has prepared a signature poster to express themselves. They will also provide postcards to send to the New York firefighters and police officers. All will conclude with a “Fireman’s Story,” and a free piece of an American Flag cake.

The Global Picture

USF Center for Globalization Symposium on Globalization and Security
Tuesday noon – 6 p.m.
TECO Room, College of Education

The Center for Globalization will examine the political roles of religion, rise and fall of the Taliban, international environmental security, health and global security, biochemical threat detection systems and cyberattacks. The event is free and open to the public.

Memories Revisited

Concert: 9/11 Memorial Program
Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Crescent Hill

A commemorative program for the events of Sept. 11. which will take place outside of the SEC. The event will allow a chance to honor those who lost their lives in the national tragedy.