Moffitt breaks into top 10 cancer hospitals list

Following the appointment of William Dalton as new CEO, the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer & Research Institute had further cause to celebrate when it was ranked in the top 10 cancer hospitals in the country Friday.

The ranking, made by U.S. News and World Report, sees Moffitt move up from 22nd place, the fourth consecutive year that Moffitt has been ranked in the top 50 list of hospitals.

In a statement released by Moffitt, interim CEO Jack Pledger attributed the rise of Moffitt’s status to the recruitment of internationally renowned researchers, participation in national trials of cancer treatments and significant investment in equipment and laboratory set-up. A further factor in Moffitt’s growing reputation, according to Pledger, is the use of Moffitt-developed technology by other cancer centers, such as software programs for digital mammograms.

The ranking produced by U.S. News and World Report is based upon specific criteria such as quality of care, reputation, mortality rates, procedure volume and nursing care. Hospitals ranked by U.S. News and World Report tend to adhere more closely to advanced treatment guidelines, to adopt new procedures into patient care and to conduct research that gives patients more treatment options.

BOT meeting canceled

USF Board of Trustees chairman Dick Beard canceled a special conference call scheduled for today.

Beard originally called the conference call to discuss and approve USF’s 2003-2004 Legislative Budget Request.

The cancellation was made after an extension was awarded to USF. The extension will allow the BOT to hold the item until its regularly scheduled quarterly meeting in August. A university press release said the extension will allow for “due deliberation on the issues and the opportunity to go through the proper procedures established by the Board.”

Moffitt surgeon ranked in nations’ top ten

According to a July 5 press release, Steven Brem, a doctor at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, was named one of the top 10 brain cancer surgeons in the United States.

Brem is the program leader for the neuro-oncology program, where he works in image-guided, pituitary and malignant tumor surgery. Brem received his medical degree in 1972 from Harvard.

The top 10 list is compiled by “Brain Tumor-List Serve,” an online brain tumor group of patients and healthcare providers.

According to Moffitt, a surgeon named on the list “has the practical result of leading to referrals to Moffitt, reflected in the high number of new patients flowing into the program.”