Bulls on road to C-USA

The USF track and field teams will continue their preparation for the conference championship this week at the Georgia Tech Invitational in Atlanta this weekend. The meet will feature teams from Auburn and Florida State.

According to coach Greg Thiel, “This track meet will be in a more conventional format. It will be a better gauge of what we look like at the conference meet.”

Unlike the relay format, which runs for three to four days, this weekend’s meet will be finished in one day.

The athletes who have provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championship are still looking to improve their marks to ensure their places at the championship meet.

Tara Quinn will look to improve her time in the 10,000 meters after qualifying at the Raleigh Relays last weekend. Jimmy Baxter, who qualified for the NCAA Championship in the high jump with a mark of 7-feet-2, will also look to better his performance.

“I wasn’t satisfied with what I did. I can do better,” Baxter said. “I think that 7-foot-2 is a good mark, but I am not going to stop.”

The team has suffered a few injuries through the course of the season. Senior javelin thrower Andre Bondurant is likely out for the season with a leg injury. Amber Delpino, who competes in the 400-meter hurdles and is a member of the 4×400 relay team, is questionable as she is in a cast for eight to 10 days suffering from shin splints. According to Thiel, the team has suffered more injuries this year than in the past. Despite Delpino’s injury, the 4×400 relay team has not been greatly affected, placing sixth last weekend with Au’strea Wilkins replacing Delpino.

James Tai covers outdoor track and field and can be reached at oracletai@yahoo.com