Offense still lagging behind defense this spring

The Bulls’ defense continued to show that they’re further along than the offense, Tuesday.

Practicing for almost three hours, the USF football team ran through drills for the ninth time this spring. The Bulls have four more practices and a scrimmage Saturday before the Spring Game at Raymond James on April 13.

“I look at all-out effort,” coach Jim Leavitt said. “If our offense was playing good and the defense was just stuffing them, that’s one thing.

“But our offense isn’t playing the way they need to play.”As evidenced by Marquel Blackwell’s four interceptions in USF’s first scrimmage March 30, the defense has been superior to their offensive counterparts. Tuesday’s workout ended with a red zone drill.

The defense denied the offense so much as a first down in four series from inside the 20-yard line.

“We had a good practice until the end when the offense didn’t do very well,” Leavitt said.

“The defense just stuck it to the offense. We need to get better offensively.”

Welcome back

Cornerback Maurice Tucker and linebacker Kawika Mitchell both practiced for the Bulls following some time off. Tucker practiced for the first time Tuesday after not being able to participate due to a knee injury. He then took some time to concentrate on academics.

Mitchell missed the scrimmage because of migraines,but was back in pads Tuesday, including partaking in 7-on-7 drills.However, an ankle injury kept wide receiver Chris Iskra watching from the sidelines. Joining Iskra in the red jerseys as spectators were last year’s top two rushers, Clenton Crossley and Quinton Callum. In their absences, Georgia transfer DeJuan Green and Charlie Ross took most of the snaps at running back

n Anthony Gagliano