Softball team faces nemesis

Last season South Florida was one victory away from the College World Series. All that stood in the way was then-No. 22 Michigan. The Bulls’ season ended when the Wolverines won 12-5 in 13 innings.

Tonight USF hosts the No. 10 Wolverines (8-3) in a doubleheader starting at 5 p.m.

The team still remembers last year’s loss, but this season it is merely another game that the Bulls want to win.

“Every game is the same, we have to go out to play and win,” senior Alanna Hazzard said. “(There are memories), but you can’t dwell on the past.”

USF is a different team with three new pitchers and four members of last year’s team having moved on.

“It is not a revenge game,” USF coach Ken Eriksen said. “I think the past is the past, and this is a new team that we have and a new team that they have.”

USF is coming off a slow start with a 6-10-1 record and needs to find a groove offensively and defensively in its last game before the start of conference play.

Some players are still feeling some of the wounds from last year’s loss and are focusing on the game against the Wolverines.

“Yeah, I’m thinking revenge,” senior Ginny Georgantas said. “We were one game away from the World Series.”

Georgantas hit the 100th RBI of her career during the University of Arizona Softball Classic. She is now just one RBI away from tying Christy Byrd for third on the all-time list.

Georgantas is more focused on the team goals than individual statistics. “It’s just another RBI,” Georgantas said.

She again practiced at second base this week, a position she played against Indiana in the first game of the USF Holiday Inn Tournament last weekend.

• Bryan Fazio covers softball and can be reached at oraclebryan@yahoo.com