Host Bulls finish sixth

Despite the inclement weather conditions, the men’s golf team was not disappointed with its sixth-place finish at the Ron Smith Invitational held at the USF golf course this past weekend. Due to heavy rain and high winds, the golf terrain became impossible to play as the tournament’s second round was cancelled early Saturday.

“I think we really tried our best,” said Tele Wightman, when asked about the team’s finish at the invitational. “It was unfortunate that we couldn’t play well enough to win.”

Wightman finished eighth (143 strokes).

On the other side, Ricky Carrillo finished the first round in third place, but after Saturday’s round cancellation and a loss of focus, Carrillo tied for sixth along with Jason Jackson from Arkansas State University (142).

“I was really happy with my performance despite the weather conditions,” Carrillo said.

Before the conditions worsened, Carrillo was two shots short of first place in the tournament.

With a sixth-place finish this past weekend, the Bulls will expect to do even better as they prepare to play Friday through Sunday at the LSU Spring Invitational in Baton Rouge, La.

• Vanessa Garnica

Baseball team hosts grudge match

The 3-6 Bulls baseball team will play this afternoon at 3 p.m. against Bethune-Cookman’s Wildcats at Red McEwen Field. South Florida finds itself in desperate need of a momentum-building win. After losing to the Wildcats on the road Feb. 15, the Bulls went on to Jacksonville, taking two in a Saturday-Sunday series. The Bulls looked to gain early-season momentum but were stopped short, losing to Jacksonville at home Feb. 19.

Last weekend took the Bulls to an invitational hosted by Rice, where again the Bulls started with a win against Texas-Arlington, before being snuffed out by Louisiana-Lafayette and Rice and before a momentum fire could be started.

Friday the Bulls will start its first three-game weekend series against Massachusetts. But first, they have to try to avenge a 13-inning loss to the Wildcats Tuesday. The last meeting ended with a heartbreaking, walk-off home run that bounced off the foul pole at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

• Staff Report