Date rape victim shares story to educate

The attacks of Sept. 11 kept Doc Robin from coming to campus during the fall to speak during the University Lecture Series. After what happened, she was afraid to fly. In fact, Robin was on a plane when the terrorist attacks occurred, said Karla Stevenson, director of promotions for the Campus Activities Board.Now almost five months later, Robin, a certified therapist, won’t stay grounded any longer. She’ll speak Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Marshall Center Ballroom on “Date rape – how I never want to spend a night.”

“(Doc Robin) is very energetic with a serious topic,” said Scott Talarico of NEON Entertainment, the booking agency for Robin. “She is a person who is very concerned about well-being, and she wants to save people in a fun, lighthearted way so people will listen.”

Robin not only brings the issue of date rape to center stage, but she will share the forensic and medical rape examination kit used only by medical personnel.

She is a date rape victim who has traveled the country doing seminars since 1983. Robin has been presenting at colleges, including the University of South Georgia, Penn State and Ohio State, for more than 10 years.

Stevenson said that what Robin will bring to USF is important information for students on this campus, as well.

“I think it is important to know how to deal and get around (date rape) if needed,” said Stevenson, who will introduce Robin Thursday.

Freshman Jessica Weaver agreed.

“You hear about (date rape), and you need to stop it,” Weaver said. “It can be scary.”

Freshman Chris McRae said Robin’s lecture is something both male and female students should attend.

“I think it’s a very good thing because people need to be informed on situations and how they come up,” he said.

• Contact Stefanie Greenat oraclestefanie@yahoo.com