Bulls football will tackle Arkansas next season

The South Florida football team will play the University of Arkansas next season, USF Athletics Director Lee Roy Selmon announced Thursday.The Bulls and Razorbacks square off Sept. 14 in Little Rock, Ark. Selmon and Arkansas AD Frank Broyles finalized the deal Thursday.

Selmon praised USF Deputy AD Corey Johnson for his effort to make the game possible.

“Corey really went to bat. He’s been going at it for I don’t how many days,” Selmon said. “For a one-hour process, it was days of calls. But at the end of the day he landed an exciting opponent for us, for our team.”

The Bulls were originally slated to play Eastern Michigan on Sept. 14, but Selmon and EMU AD David Diles agreed to postpone that meeting. Selmon said the game and a return contest could take place between 2003-5.

“It was a whole series of events that had to happen,” Selmon said. “Moving around, shifting around, getting to this point required some swift maneuvering. That’s where Corey came in. He spent a lot of time on the phone, talking with different schools. There appeared to be some other opportunities, but at the end of the day it turned out to be Arkansas.”

Arkansas finished with a 7-5 record last season, including a 4-4 record in the Southeastern Conference. The Razorbacks finished tied for third in the SEC Western Division.

There are two more open slots in the Bulls’ 2002 schedule. Johnson said he is in discussion with Bowling Green for a potential Nov. 16 matchup.