Pigskin Picks 11/21

Following USF sports isn’t for the faint of heart.

Just when you think it’s all over, the Bulls pull something out of the bag and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. And when the forecast calls for smooth sailing ahead, storm clouds appear out of nowhere and ruin the Bulls’ ride. So it seems to me.

Our men’s soccer team looked to be out of the NCAA running after losing to Marquette in the C-USA quarterfinals, but the Bulls, unexpectedly to many, received an at-large bid and play the Akron Zips on Friday.

One day after the soccer team’s loss, the Bulls volleyball team steamed into the C-USA Tournament riding high after a school-record nine consecutive 3-0 sweeps. Seeded No. 3 and playing Marquette – same situation as the soccer team – the Bulls lost to the Golden Eagles and have some anxious days till Monday afternoon at 3, when they find out their NCAA fate.

But that wasn’t all. Then comes the coup de grace – the suspensions. Read about it on Page 20.

If my mind isn’t totally fixed on college pigskin, you can understand why. There’s been a lot to keep up with.

In any case, USF (7-3) ends a respectable season Saturday against Utah State at Raymond James Stadium. The Bulls should walk away with this one and give their seniors a happy sendoff. Our score game pits the Miami Hurricanes at home against Washington. ‘Canes roll again. For the rest of the lineup, I pick Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Penn State and Cincinnati. And, oh, remember, there are some Friday games this week, so submit picks by noon Friday.

Our guests this week truly bleed green and gold. Terry and Robbie are the founders of GreenbergOplis, AKA “Tent City,” that quaint little camp outside the Sun Dome. They camp out for basketball tickets and get rewarded with free pizza – not a bad deal. To show his support, Terry actually picked USF not just against Utah State, but for every game this week.

Congrats to our winner, Rob Wilson, who squeezed in a Pigskin victory before his graduation later this semester. And get well soon, Rob. That injured toe looks painful.

With time running out on the football season, it looks like my co-Sports Editor Brandon Wright might just run away with the prize as he predicted. But to make it interesting, we (coincidentally) picked four results differently. So I might tie. We’ll see.

That’s it for now, Pigskin faithful. Happy Thanksgiving and let’s give thanks for everything. If you have some time to spare, pass by the Sun Dome and drop in on the Tent City guys and girls. They’ll be there till March.