Men second, women fifth

USF’s men’s golf team placed second at the Fall Beach Classic in Gulf Shores, Ala., Monday and Tuesday, while the women’s team had a fifth-place showing at the Edwin Watts/Palmetto Intercollegiate in Kiawah, S.C.

During their final match of the fall semester, the men’s golf team had its highest finish of the fall season with the help of freshman Brad Quiri, who shot a fourth-place 209, highlighted by his final round six-under-par 66.

“Brad’s performance was great,” said coach Jim Fee. “He had gotten four under. When you’re doing that, the whole challenge is not to start thinking about how well you’re doing. I walked with him the last several holes to try to help him keep calm, and he stayed calm.”

Upperclassmen Ricky Carrillo, Tele Wightman and Jay Cavanagh tied for 10th with individual scores of 214. Although disappointed with his own performance, Carrillo was pleased with Quiri’s performance.

“We know he’s a really good player,” Carrillo said. “We know he’s got the game, and it’s going to give him confidence for next semester.”

The women’s team didn’t fare as well as their counterparts in this week’s tournament in Kiawah Island where it placed fifth out of 16 teams.

“We lost confidence after our last tournament in Alabama,” said junior Fany Schaeffer. “The course was really tough.”

Although their confidence was shaken by their prior play due to the course conditions, the team buckled down for this tournament.

“I think we did good getting over it,” sophomore Jill Crowe said.

“We are even more prepared to do better next season.” Sophomore Jameica Duncombe shot 227 to lead the team and earned a ninth-place finish. Duncombe had two rounds of 75 to finish the tournament.

“We’re very happy Jameica Duncombe played well and held up until the end. She helped us out a lot,” said Schaeffer.Both teams are now off until next semester.