Hughley to come to USF

D.L. Hughley is one of the most in-demand comedians on tour today. Fresh off the heels of a feature film, Hughley’s popularity continues to grow with his own ABC-TV sitcom entitled The Hughleys.

Hughley comes to USF to perform stand-up comedy at Stampede, as part of USF’s week of Homecoming activities.

The event will be held Friday at 8 p.m.in the Sun Dome. Tickets are $5 for students and $18 plus service charge for non-students. The doors open at 7 p.m. and attendees will be subject to security checks.

Hughley’s road to success has been marked with hurdles. The third of four kids, Hughley’s father earned a living as an airline maintenance worker and his mother managed the home front. Hughley came of age on the mean streets of South Central Los Angeles. As a teen, he became a member of the notorious, ultra-violent Bloods street gang after being expelled from high school.

Fortunately, Hughley dropped the gang colors and turned his life around after a cousin was fatally wounded in a gang-related exchange of gunfire. Hughley initially took a job as a telemarketer for The Los Angeles Times, where he became a manager and met his future wife.

Upon getting married, Hughley’s wife convinced him to bring his acerbic wit and keen sense of humor to the live stage. After years of paying his dues playing smoke-filled clubs, Hughley was han picked by BET as the original host of the popular show Comic View. Next, Hughley was offered an HBO special that earned the young comic an Ace Award nomination for Best Comedy Special.

Hughley’s gravy train didn’t stop there. He went on to join the Kings of Comedy and star in the documentary feature film shot by lauded director Spike Lee. Hughley’s TV sitcom remains one of ABC’s top-rated shows.

The night will begin with an introduction of the Homecoming Court followed by a 20 minute laser light show and then opening act David Raibon.