W.Soccer: Bulls seek to end losing streak

The USF women’s soccer team looks to end its five-match losing streak tonight against UCF in Orlando at 7:30 p.m.The Bulls (4-9-2, 1-6-1) are coming off losses this past weekend against Tulane (5-0) and Southern Miss (2-1).

“What I am looking for is 100 percent effort and commitment on and off the field,” said USF coach Logan Fleck.

“We have not been getting the 100 percent needed to be successful in our games. After our last loss (at Southern Miss), I asked the girls who felt they left it all on the field,” said Fleck. “Only one girl was able to raise her hand.”

As for the Golden Knights (9-5-0, 7-2-0), Bulls assistant coach Leslie Golden, a four-year starter at UCF, had a few comments about her former program.

“Senior Michelle Anderson is their top scorer on the front line and they are coached by WUSA player Amanda Cromwell,” Golden said.

Former Team USA member Michelle Akers is an assistant coach at UCF as well.

The obstacles for the Bulls to end their five-match slide do not end there, as the Golden Knights are on a four-match winning streak of their own, and it is Senior Night at the UCF Soccer Arena to boot.

But Fleck still sees progress being made and looks forward to the team’s future.

“When they’re honest, and only one kid raises her hand, that’s nice to see,” said Fleck. “I think there should have been two (hands raised), (defender) Jamie Anderson and (goalie) Breck Bankester.

“Even though she (Anderson) went 100 percent throughout the match (against Southern Miss), she still felt she did not finish the match off and slacked it in the final five minutes (when the Golden Eagles scored the game-winner). I hope, and I know, her commitment will rub off on her teammates.”

For her efforts against the Golden Eagles, and her progress in practice, Fleck said Bankester earned the start tonight in goal.

“You battle the distractions, bad refereeing, travel, fatigue, but when showtime arrives, you have to put all of those things behind you and commit yourself to a common goal,” Fleck said. “Sure, we all want to win every game and be the champions, but the key is effort and whether or not you can look yourself in the mirror and go to bed at night knowing you have given your all.”

• Chris Lemke covers women’s soccer and can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com