Bulls look to climb in C-USA

The USF women’s soccer team travels to Tulane and Southern Miss for two important Conference USA matchups this weekend.

The Bulls will play the Green Wave tonight at 5 in New Orleans and then head to Hattiesburg, Miss. for a match with the Golden Eagles Sunday at 2 p.m.

Both matches pose important challenges for the Bulls, as they try to move up in the C-USA standings.

The Bulls are currently in 10th place with a 1-4-1 record and need three points to climb back into the race for the conference tournament in Milwaukee, Wis. beginning Nov. 7. The top eight teams in the conference are invited to the tournament.

The Green Wave (5-6-0, 3-2-0 in C-USA) has played good enough to beat C-USA foes like Memphis and Louisville – despite how the matches were won. The Green Wave defeated the Tigers and Cardinals by a single goal each – both scored by Tulane’s opponents.

Freshman Breck Bankester and junior Valerie Wetzel were the two goalies Fleck decided to take along to New Orleans with the team, leaving behind junior Alicia Bostain.

There is no decision for the Green Wave on who will be in the net. True freshman Sara Simpson is coming off her third shutout of the season after the 1-0 victory against Memphis.

In Hattiesburg, the Golden Eagles are looking to build on their first conference win of the season, a 2-1 victory against Memphis, that gave the team a 1-4-0 (7-4-0 overall) record in the conference.

The victory Sunday was the Golden Eagles first following a four-game losing streak to start conference play.

The two matches this weekend are the beginning of a four game road trip for the Bulls. South Florida travels to Central Florida Oct. 24 and continues on to Memphis Oct. 28th.

• Chris Lemke covers women’s soccer and can reached atoraclesports@yahoo.com