Editorial: Send aid appropriately

The United States began bombing Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday at 12:30 p.m. EDT. In addition to dropping bombs, the United States also dropped humanitarian aid packages to the refugees of the country. While it is good to help the innocent masses of the nation who are helpless under the Taliban’s regime, this touted humanitarian aid seems more like a paltry way to placate people opposed to bombing the country because of the large number of refugees uninvolved with the Taliban.

The United States should continue to ensure its bombings target non-civilian areas of the country, but perhaps cease aid until after bin Laden’s and the Taliban’s surrender. Instead, the United States should help refugees by coordinating camps and aid in Pakistan and other neighboring countries where there is no fighting so that the people will be safer. If that isn’t feasible, the United States should help set up safe havens within Afghanistan itself to encourage the innocent refugees to seek safety.

In addition to the humanitarian meals (30 ounce packets that contain food prepared to fulfill Islamic food preparation codes), the United States plans to begin dropping leaflets on the nation’s people describing why it is bombing their country.

However, this too is a slap in the face to the Afghans. It is almost as though the United States is trying to say, “Hey, we’re bombing your country, but it isn’t meant for the innocent people – just the Taliban evildoers.”

The United States is a great nation and should defend itself against terrorism, but the way in which it is conducting this attack on Afghanistan is confusing. We should send aid, and we should continue to bomb, but we shouldn’t do both at the same time. There are plenty of ways to accomplish both tasks appropriately. The nation should examine those instead of confusing both Americans and Afghans.