Women’s tennis season starts at FSU

The South Florida women’s tennis team will open the season today at the Lady Seminole Fall Classic in Tallahassee. The Bulls are competing in the tournament with Florida State, Georgia Southern, Texas Christian, Florida International, Florida, Auburn, Miami, Stetson, Central Florida and Jacksonville.

Every player on the roster was here last year. Patricia Kolendo is the only new player, as she redshirted her freshman season. “It’s our first individual tournament and we’re looking forward to seeing what we have,” USF coach Sherry Bedingfield said. “We have a lot of old faces in new places.”

Ashlee Callahan will face Marieke Gunahan of UCF, Genevieve Houle meets Marcy Hora of Miami and Kolendo will compete against Sihem Bennacer of Miami at 8 a.m. Jamie Larson meets Sara Robbins at 9 a.m. and Claudia Nieto will meet Julie Pecastaing from UCF at 9:30 a.m.

Jennifer Sinclair is seeded No. 3 in the B Flight and will have a bye for the first round.

The Bulls will field four doubles teams this season. Houle and Sinclair will form one pair and Natalie Schwartz and Callahan will form the other pair competing in A Flight.

Nieto and Kolendo form one pair and Larson will team with Jackie Spicijaric to form the other doubles team in B Flight.Spicijaric will only be competing in doubles this season because she is recovering from a back injury sustained last year.

The men’s team, which was scheduled to have its first home meet of the season today, will have to wait another week.

The Bulls were supposed to host Jacksonville and Florida Atlantic starting today, but due to a coaching change there will be no match.

Mike Wheelen, head coach at FAU, left the team for another coaching opportunity, causing the Owls to withdraw from the tournament.

Jacksonville will travel to USF next weekend and compete in a tournament against the Bulls, Central Florida and Wake Forest.Martin Wetzel, a key player for the Bulls, has calcium deposits in his leg and will have to wait up to three weeks for it to be worked out.

“He will be questionable for next week and should be ready to go for the following weekend,” coach Don Barr said.

• Contact Bryan Fazio at oraclebryan@yahoo.com