Bulls start five-game stretch

The USF women?s soccer team will begin a stretch of five games in nine days this weekend. The Bulls will host Louisville Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Charlotte Sunday at 1 p.m., both at the USF Soccer Stadium.

The return home was welcomed by coach Logan Fleck.

“I never felt secure until the plane finally touched ground,” he said in reference to his team?s two game trip to the midwest, where they tied DePaul (2-2) and lost to Cincinnati (4-0).

The game Friday against Louisville (2-4 overall, 1-1 C-USA) offers a look at one of the new talents in Conference-USA, Cardinals? freshman goalie Meredith Miller, who has a 2.92 goals against average this season.

“We are experiencing a learning curve right now. There are no longer any freshmen on our team. We need to continue developing our own ?moxy? as a team,” he said.

In goal, the carousel continues for the Bulls. There was still no decision on a starter for the game today, as of Thursday. Freshman Alicia Bostain received her first college start in last Sunday?s game against Cincinnati.

Charlotte comes to town Sunday after a game at Southern Miss Friday. The 49ers sit atop C-USA with a 2-0 record (4-2-1 overall), and have yet to allow a goal this season in conference play.

Goalkeeper Jean Howell received C-USA defensive player of the week honors for her two shutouts.

Both of Charlotte?s conference wins came at home, first against Houston (4-0) and then against Tulane (1-0). The 49ers feature a balanced attack, with eight different players scoring goals this season.

After Sunday?s game, the Bulls will host 18th ranked Florida State Tuesday, travel to Florida Atlantic for a game Thursday (a makeup for Sept. 16), and return home to host Jacksonville Oct. 6 to complete five games in nine days.

“We are growing up fast, and that?s why we schedule who we do,” Fleck said. “There?s no point in playing teams you?re going to beat 8-0 if you want to be the best. And we want to be the best.”

Chris Lemke covers women?s soccer and can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com