Bulls to play Oklahoma in 2002

The 2002 South Florida football schedule will add a 12th game next season ? against the Oklahoma Sooners, 2000 national champions. The plans for the addition to the schedule started during the summer and were confirmed Thursday. The game has been scheduled for Sept. 28, 2002, in Norman, Okla.

Adding Oklahoma will add strength to the schedule and give USF a historically well-ranked opponent to compete against. There are many connections between USF and Oklahoma. Most notably, Athletics Director Lee Roy Selmon was a former All-American defensive end for the Sooners before going on to a Hall of Fame career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“I am excited for our team. You know they have the opportunity to go play a nationally and highly recognized team like a University of Oklahoma,” Selmon said. “I think it will be an experience for them and, being that it is my alma mater, I?m very familiar with them. It adds, for me personally, a little more excitement.”

Selmon?s son, Lee Roy Jr., has redshirted this season and will be a defensive lineman next season against his father?s college team.

Head coach Jim Leavitt has two interesting links to the Sooners. First, he and Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops were co-defensive coordinators from 1991-95 before Stoops left to work for Steve Spurrier and Leavitt became head coach at USF. Also, Leavitt attended the University of Missouri with current Oklahoma Athletic Director Joe Castiglione.

“We?re very appreciative of the opportunity, and we?re looking forward to the game,” said Selmon.