Bulls take on conference foes

The USF women?s soccer team will resume play today against DePaul (5-1) in Chicago at 4 p.m.

It will mark the team?s first match since the terrorist attacks last Tuesday which postponed matches in Miami against the Hurricanes last Friday and in Boca Raton against Florida Atlantic on Sunday.

After their game against the Blue Demons, the Bulls will travel to Cincinnati to take on the Bearcats (3-2) Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Bulls return to play with question marks still remaining in the goal. Coach Logan Fleck has yet to settle on a full-time goalie as the battle between junior Valerie Wetzel and freshman Breck Bankester continues.

DePaul heads into the match Friday having lost its make-up match at Eastern Illinois 4-0. Before the loss, the Blue Demons had reeled off five consecutive victories to open the season.

The Bearcats are 3-2 right now and are trying to reverse the result of their last game, a 1-0 loss against Miami (Ohio) on Monday.

Chris Lemke

Cross country teams head to Florida State

As sporting events around the nation resume, the USF cross country teams head to Tallahassee Saturday for a meet against the top teams in Florida. Competition at the Florida Invitational will include teams from Florida, Florida State and Central Florida, among others.

?It is an excellent opportunity for us to compete against teams in Florida, especially with the UF varsity teams. This will give us a chance to see the teams that we will be competing against in the regional meet later this year,? USF coach Heather Curtiss said.

Christa Benton, Kristy Fuller, Cori Kill and Tara Quinn will lead the women?s team. Sophomore Adam Chumbley and freshman Jim Vitale will lead the men?s team. According to Curtiss, both Chumbley and Vitale will challenge for top-6 or 7 finishes.

Preparation for this meet has not been too greatly affected by the tragic events of last week. The teams ran a race simulation Saturday after it was announced their meet at the N.C. State Invitational had been cancelled.

?We have had two very intense workouts this week. As we near the halfway point in the season, we have increased the mileage and intensity of our training,? Curtiss said.

According to Curtiss, the teams have stayed very focused in the face of the tragedies of last week.

?All of our athletes have been completely focused,? Curtiss said. ?They have stayed together and helped one another to get through it. They are focused on school, and on running.?

James Tai