Fitts slated to fill in at center

After the injury to freshman offensive center Alex Herron, USF coach Jim Leavitt is confident that senior Jimmy Fitts will fill the position well. Leavitt said he was not sure who would be filling Fitts? spot at right guard, but it is looking like senior Ken Dawson and freshman Levi Newton will split time at the position during Saturday?s game at Memphis. Leavitt also said freshman Shelly Houston could help relieve Fitts at center on some plays.

?We?ve had a lot of injuries here before, you can?t really worry about it,? Leavitt said. ?If a guy gets hurt, it?s just an opportunity for somebody else to get in there and play and to be the next great story.?

Bulls on the mend

Redshirt junior Lee Roy Selmon Jr.’s knee injury during practice Tuesday will keep him out of practice a bit longer than Leavitt expected. Leavitt said Selmon would not be up to speed through this week?s practices. Selmon, who redshirted after senior defensive lineman Tchecoy Blount returned from grade issues before the Pittsburgh game, bruised his right knee during practice Monday night.

Junior wide receiver DeAndrew Rubin’s turf toe injury will not keep him out of Saturday?s game against Memphis. According to Leavitt, Rubin is confident in his ability to be ready for the game at the Liberty Bowl at 7 p.m. CST.

?I asked him today ? and he said, ?Oh I?ll be ready to go Saturday,?? said Leavitt. ?That young man wants to play bad and that young man works extremely hard to get on this field. I can?t do anything but go by what he says. He?s getting in more and more drills.?

Jarrett Guthrie