Briefs: Chia selected to PowerBar 2001 Team Elite

USF student Nei-Kuan Chia, a two-time Olympic swimmer, has been named to PowerBar’s 2001 Team Elite. Through the Team Elite sponsorship program, PowerBar Inc. awards sponsorship to 2,500 amateur and professional athletes nationwide, representing 50 sports.

“It’s a special honor because of the quality athletes they do have … and also it provides support for my training because in swimming you don’t get much money,” Chia said.

Chia will receive an allotment of PowerBar gels, energy bars and Team Elite gear for training and competition. Past and current Team Elite members include 1,500-meter runner Suzy Favor Hamilton, three-time Olympian and six-time national champion, Nick Radkewich, Olympic triathlete, and Lanee Butler, 1999 world surfing champion.

Chia, who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in accounting and finance, represented his native Taiwan in the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Games, competing in the 100-meter butterfly. He finished 32nd in 1996 and was in 16th place after the preliminaries in 2000, but a torn biceps tendon forced him out of competition.

Trimble transfers from Florida

Jameelah Trimble, a 6-foot-5 center, has transferred into the USF women’s basketball program from Florida, Bulls’ coach Jose Fernandez announced Monday.

“Jameelah gives us a legitimate force inside,” Fernandez said. “She runs the floor, rebounds and is a great shot blocker. At 6-5, if she doesn’t block the shot then she at least alters the shot.”

Trimble was ranked one of the top 100 high school seniors in the 1998-99 season while at American Senior High in Hialeah.

Trimble also blocked a school-record 218 shots that season and earned first-team All-Dade County Class 6A-5A honors.

“When you have a 6-5 player and she’s an offensive threat, and she is also such a strong defensive player, that will affect the way teams prepare for us,” Fernandez said. “She is a big part of the puzzle that will make us a contender in the future.”

Trimble played in 25 games for Florida this past season, averaging 2.8 points and 3.4 rebounds in her sophomore year. As a freshman, she played in 17 games.

In accordance with NCAA transfer regulations, Trimble will sit out the 2001-02 season and have two seasons of eligibility remaining.