Briefs: Vigue signs free-agent deal with Devil Rays affiliate

USF pitcher John Vigue signed a free-agent contract with the PrincetonDevil Rays of the Appalachian League.

Vigue had a 7-5 record in his final season with the Bulls. Theright-hander posted a 5.34 ERA and 63 strikeouts in 23 appearances.Vigue ranks in the all-time top 10 at USF in career wins, inningspitched and games started.

In addition to Vigue, former USF players Brendan Fuller and Daniel Boydsigned with minor league teams. Fuller, a right-handed pitcher, signedwith Medicine Hat in Alberta, Canada and Boyd, an outfielder, signedwith the Ogden Raptors of the Pioneer League.

Fuller was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 13th round of theamateur draft June 5, while Boyd was selected by the Milwaukee Brewersin the 27th round.

Henry signs four-year NFL contract

Former USF defensive back Anthony Henry signed a four-year contract withthe NFL’s Cleveland Browns Friday, becoming the second of three USFplayers drafted in April to sign.

The native of Fort Myers was a member of USF’s first batch of signees in1996 and went on to be a starter and captain during each of his fouryears with the Bulls. Henry holds the USF career record with 10interceptions, including a team-best five in 2000.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Henry was the second player – and second Bull -taken in the fourth round of April’s draft. Tackle Kenyatta Jones, thefirst player selected in Round 4 by New England, remains unsigned, whileformer USF kicker Bill Gramatica, taken by Arizona immediately afterHenry, signed a three-year deal with the Cardinals June 4.

Former USF coach Rose ends long career

Former USF men’s basketball coach Lee Rose ended a career that began in1959, when he retired as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Hornetsof the NBA Friday.

While with the Bulls, Rose compiled a 106-69 record from 1980-86. Hisbest season record-wise was 1982-83, when the Bulls posted a 22-10 markand won a game in the National Invitational Tournament. USF alsoparticipated in the NIT in 1981 and 1985.

Rose started his coaching career at the college level as an assistant atTransylvania, a member of the National Association of IntercollegiateAthletics (NAIA). He went on to become head coach of the Pioneers in1964, and later served as head coach at Charlotte and Purdue. In 1977,Rose led Charlotte to the NCAA Final Four, a feat he repeated at Purduethree years later. He also led Purdue to the NIT Finals in 1979.

After leaving USF, Rose entered the NBA, where he was an assistant coachfor four teams, including the Hornets, since 1996.

In Rose?s final season, the Hornets lost to the Milwaukee Bucks – whereRose served as an executive from 1989-1996 and an assistant coach in the1991-92 season – in the seventh game of the Eastern Conference semifinals.