Bulls earn first-ever national ranking

Junior guard Courtney Williams earned an AAC Honor Roll mention this week after averaging 18 points in the Bulls’ two weekend wins. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Coming off two wins against teams in ESPN’s top-50 RPI, the USF women’s basketball team received its first ranking in program history in the USA Today Top-25 Poll. 

The Bulls’ two wins this season came last weekend when they defeated Villanova 57-56 on a neutral court and Chattanooga 59-57 on the road. These tough wins proved to be enough to garner the Bulls the No. 25 ranking in the poll’s latest installment. 

Sunday marked the first home loss for Chattanooga in 41 games, ending a 40-game home winning streak that was previously the longest in the nation. 

Although this has been the start USF (2-0) hoped for, there are still challenges ahead. With games against Oklahoma and Kentucky later this month, the team will look to continue grinding out victories. Kentucky is currently ranked ninth in the nation and Oklahoma is receiving votes. 

Over the first two games, junior guard Courtney Williams was a standout performer for the Bulls, averaging 18 points and nine rebounds and earning AAC Honor Roll mention.

Williams and the rest of the team continue their road trip Wednesday night at Maryland to face the No. 8 Terrapins at 7 p.m. These two teams have only met one previous time, with Maryland winning the 2013 season opener in the Sun Dome, 78-70. 

The Bulls are looking for not only redemption, but also an upset before returning for their home opener Saturday at 2 p.m. against UNC-Asheville.