USF Bookstore adds more merchandise with new academic logo

By Leda Alvim, STAFF WRITER
On January 15, 2019

Merchandise with the new logo includes shirts, mugs, polos, socks and hats. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM.

Despite mixed reviews of the university's new academic logo, the USF Bookstore has added new merchandise with an ambition to sell out.

According to bookstore director Nando Padula, not all apparel will be replaced with the new logo. Only a select few items will have the academic logo printed, including shirts, mugs, polos, socks and hats.

Last semester, the bookstore sold out of the merchandise with the new logo design. At the end of December, new products ranging from $14 to $84 were reordered and delivered.

“People just trash-talk all the time about this new logo on social media,” Padula said. “I think it takes time to get used to it — it’s part of it. One misconception, especially when you hear students saying ‘bring the old logo back,’ is that you would never see the old logo printed on a T-shirt or any apparel. All the other logos remained the same, including the athletic logo. There’s nothing to bring back.”

On average, 144 pieces of each item, including hats, shirts, and polos were ordered to see how they would sell. After they sell out, the bookstore reorders.

According to Padula, the bookstore’s vendors design the products and send them to USF for approval. If the product doesn’t represent the university’s image well, then it is discontinued through IMG, USF’s license company.

Once approved, it can take anywhere from two to six weeks to have items shipped to USF, depending on the type of merchandise.

“We expect those products to grow,” Padula said. “People see them out there more often. It’s one of those things that takes time for people to adjust and embrace a new thing. I believe that it is only growing from here.”

New products are expected to arrive in the near future, such as keychains and car emblems. However, there is no estimation of when such products will be available for purchase.

“As for right now, we will continue to grow slowly and organically,” Padula said. “The more people that ask for it, the more relevant items we will bring into the store. So far, we’ve been successful in sales.”