Men’s golf poised for another post-season run in 2017-2018

By Sam Newlon, Correspondent
On August 20, 2017

USF senior Cristian Dimarco was a unaminous all-conference selection last season. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

USF men’s golf is set up to win its fourth straight AAC title.

After finishing 12th out of 14 teams in the NCAA tournament’s Baton Rouge Regional that ended USF’s season last year, the Bulls are looking to senior Christian DiMarco to lead the team to another AAC title and an NCAA tournament run.

Along with DiMarco, USF is returning six players from last year’s team.

“I’m certainly excited about the schedule and I’m excited about the guys we have returning. I’m also excited about the guys we have coming in,” head coach Steve Bradley said. 

Coming off a win at the

100th State Amateur Championship, DiMarco, who earned the title of 2017 Florida State Amateur Champion in June, has stayed busy during the offseason.

While the Bulls retain most of their talent from last season, the loss of senior Rigel Fernandes to graduation last spring will leave a tear in the Bulls roster. Before graduation, Fernandes shot an average of 72.9 strokes per match last season and earned all-conference honors for the third time in his four-year career as a Bull.

Sophomores Andre Leveque, Kyle Flexsenhar and Sebastian Diaz have been improving their individual scores throughout the summer with Coach Bradley in preparation to meet the high expectations of the golf program.

“You look at this year’s schedule versus last year’s schedule, our fall is completely different,” Bradley said. “We’re not playing one tournament that’s exactly the same as we played last year.” 

Bradley is looking to provide his team with the most difficult and diverse regular season possible to prepare for the post season. The team will be traveling to Hartford, Wisconsin to play at Erin Hills Golf Club Oct 1-3, where the U.S. Open was held and won by former Bull Chase Koepka’s brother, Brooks, last June.

“If we get an opportunity to play a PGA golf course, or a major golf course, we’re absolutely going to take advantage of that,” Bradley told gousfbulls.com. 

Some other courses of note include Quail Valley Golf Club, and The Grove, which includes course designed by famous Australian golfer Greg Norman.

Also, to go along with the numerous away tournaments, USF golf is hosting a match for the first time since 2014 when they’ll host the USF Invitational at the Tampa Palms Golf club.

The Bulls will open their season on Sept. 18th at the Jim Rivers Intercollegiate at the Squire Creek Golf Club in Choudrant, Louisiana.