Over 6,000 votes have been cast in SG elections
Student Government (SG) elections are coming to a close this evening.
The polls will close at 11:59 p.m. and results will be announced at noon on Friday. Jennifer Bielen, assistant director for SG advising, said that as of Wednesday morning, over 6,000 votes had been cast in this year’s elections.
Supervisor of Elections for SG Jalen LaRubbio said polling stations have run out of the more than 1,000 shirts SG purchased and pizza they hand out to students who vote at the polling stations. LaRubbio said SG has been giving out close to 40 pizzas a day.
“It’s kind of hectic, but it seems like we’re having good numbers,” LaRubbio said. “Everything is running smooth.”
All voting is online, but students can vote via iPad at polling stations.
SG has been advertising the election through social media, mass emails and through the polling stations to try to entice students to vote, LaRubbio said.
“Other than that, I think it’s actually great that the candidates are also doing a great job of getting their people out,” LaRubbio said.
LaRubbio said he thinks it is important for students to get out and vote in the elections because those who win will serve as the students’ voice and make decisions on spending the money from the fees students pay.
“I mean, it’s ultimately the people that end up being your voice and the people that end up allocating your money,” LaRubbio said. “There’s millions of dollars in (Activity and Service) fees that SG’s ultimately responsible (for) and it’s a fee that everyone pays on their tuition.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses