Don’t knock the side hustle

By Nicole Cate, LIFESTYLE EDITOR
On January 18, 2017

Services like Uber, who is always recruiting, allow college students to make money without pledging too much of their time to the business. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE.

Not having enough money is a common grievance of many college students, even the ones with jobs. Going to school does not usually allow for a lot of time in a day for someone to work to cover all their expenses, or sometimes, the person could just be a little short on what they need that day.

Here are some ‘side gigs’ that students can occasionally work for a little cash on the side. They don’t require a large time commitment, nor do they use a lot of energy and effort. In other words, they are perfect for the person with a hole in his pocket and a little while to spare.

Uber driver

It’s no surprise how quickly Uber grew in Tampa. With USF and the University of Tampa, the city is home to thousands of college students, a demographic that wants to drink, but does not want to be the designated driver. Enter Uber. Now, a group of friends can go out without one poor, sober sap who drew the short straw babysitting the rest of the clan.

Uber has several requirements, including the driver being at least 21-years-old, having at least one year of driving experience in the U.S. (and three years if they are under 23) and using an eligible four-door vehicle. Not to mention, Tampa has its own minimum requirements for the vehicle, such as the car being 13-years-old or younger, four-doors and in good condition with no cosmetic damage.

If a student can check the aforementioned boxes, and a few more, then congratulations to them, as it is reported by Uber that their drivers make around $20 an hour. Since this is almost two-and-a-half times over Florida’s minimum wage, they’re sure to make that pocket money in no time.

Shipt

Students who don’t mind putting miles on their cars, but have an issue with the social aspect of Uber (believe it or not, not a lot of people like the idea of driving strangers around in their car), Shipt would make a great part-time job.

The “on-demand grocery delivery service” recruits independent drivers like the ride-sharing enterprise, and as such, have their own list of requirements, although they are less rigid than Uber’s. Drivers must be at least 18-years-old and have reliable transportation, a current driver’s license and knowledge of produce selection. Drivers for both companies must go through a thorough background check.

According to Shipt, their drivers make $15-$25 an hour on average, so students whose idea of the perfect passenger is a head of lettuce will find that this is the perfect setup for them.

eBay/letgo/OfferUp/etc.

If students want to make money in order to buy more things, why not get rid of old, obsolete inventory at the same time to make space for the shiny, new toys? Since 1995, eBay has been allowing people to sell their unwanted goods online for a little extra cash, and this process has only been made easier with the introduction of app-only auction sites such as OfferUp and letgo.

All students have to do is take pictures of whatever item they don’t want, write a description, set a price and post. Letgo and OfferUp are better for those who don’t want to lose money on shipping and would rather meet their seller in real life, but eBay allows students a larger customer pool. Whichever service students chose, there’s bound to be someone somewhere willing to spend top dollar for that 1993 Patti the purple platypus Beanie Baby.