USF suffers heavy 7-0 defeat to SMU

The Bulls will look to bounce back next week as they are scheduled to take on the UCF Knights in Orlando. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The USF men’s soccer team (0-2, 0-2 AAC) lost 7-0 to No. 8 SMU (2-0, 2-0 AAC) Saturday night at Corbett Stadium as two players from the Mustangs scored braces in each half. 

The Bulls fell behind early in the game as SMU forward Papa N’doye scored for the visitors in the opening 10 minutes.

USF then suffered a heavy blow in the 11th minute as sophomore defender Sergio Pineros-Mayorga was shown a red card after receiving his second yellow card of the night. 

The Mustangs, ranked eighth in the nation, went on to score three goals before the end of the first half, including another goal from N’doye to earn himself a brace.

Although USF started the second half on a bit of a better note, SMU’s Nick Taylor scored 12 minutes in. The Mustangs then went on to score two more goals, including Taylor’s curling shot from outside the box.

This was the first of two successive games the Bulls will play against a top-15 team. 

USF will continue its season with an away game next week against No. 14 UCF on Feb. 20 at 6 p.m.