White’s prognosis better than expected

Sophomore quarterback Mike White was able to make only one play before he was injured Saturday.
ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

As sophomore quarterback Mike White dropped back for the first play of USF’s game against Maryland on Saturday, he suffered a blow that would leave him on the sideline for the remainder of the game.
White was taken down following a 12-yard completion to junior tight end Sean Price, fracturing his left arm.
It was thought that White’s injury was a more severe fracture, but coach Willie Taggart said the X-rays came back with a better prognosis than expected. White has a compression fracture on his left arm that did not go completely through the bone and he could return to practice this week.
“A lot of times you don’t use that arm as much, other than handing the ball off or protecting yourself,” Taggart said.
Though he said the injury is not too bad, Taggart hasn’t yet given White clearance to play. Taggart said he will monitor White’s progress throughout the week, looking at how much pain he can tolerate, as well as how much protection he receives in practice.
White’s injury in Saturday’s game gave his backup, Steven Bench, an opportunity to enter the game and lead the Bulls to a big win.
Bench went 14-for-36 for 162 yards with one interception along with 22 yards on five carries and a touchdown on the ground. He was in position to lead the Bulls’ offense on a game-tying drive late in the fourth quarter, but came up short by throwing an interception on the first play.
Though Bench failed to lead the Bulls to victory, he provided an offensive spark for USF, something White failed to do in USF’s season opener.
Injured or not, Taggart has stayed firm that White is their guy.
“If Mike’s ready to go, Mike’s our quarterback,” Taggart said. “Mike hasn’t done anything to lose his job.”
If White is unable to play Saturday, Bench will start in his place, leaving freshman Quinton Flowers in the backup spot, one play away from live action.
Flowers signed with USF as a four-star recruit out of Miami Jackson High School.
Whoever is behind center might be without standout senior wide receiver Andre Davis who sat out against Maryland with a bruised sternum.
USF (1-1) takes on N.C. State (2-0) next Saturday at 3:30 p.m. for the third game of a four-game home stand at Raymond James Stadium. The game will be broadcast on CBS Sports.