Big Guava joins in music festival trend

With attendance of music festivals like Coachella, Bonnaroo and SXSW growing across the nation, Tampa is finally throwing its hat in the ring with the announcement Wednesday of the Big Guava Music Festival, a three-day festival hitting the Florida State Fairgrounds May 2-4.

Outkast, Vampire Weekend and Foster the People will headline the almost 40-band event.

Big Guava is a revamp of 2013’s Funshine Music Festival, with many of the same elements, such as
midway rides, food trucks and multiple stages. However, this time the focus is on music and the line-up is catered to a younger crowd with the target audience ranging from ages 15 to 45.

“We tried to get a little something for everybody
without going too far skewed,” Neil Jacobsen, president of Live Nation, said during a press conference Wednesday. “Last year we had REO Speedwagon, Styx, Train and a few other alternative acts, and it didn’t really work. So, the festival element really is that 15 to 45 year-old (demographic), we tried to get some of the
really cool hip-hop artists and some of the great alternative bands and some the established bands.”

The event will be able to hold a capacity of 20,000 people per day. Three-day general admission passes go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. for $165 and premium passes for $499. A limited number of early-bird general admission tickets were available Wednesday at
5 p.m. for $99, but sold out in 10 minutes.

To purchase tickets, visit www.livenation.com.

Lineup:

Outkast

Vampire Weekend

Foster The People

Slightly Stoopid

Cake

Tegan And Sara

Violent Femmes

Girl Talk

Earl Sweatshirt

Grouplove

HAIM

Twenty One Pilots

Chance the Rapper

Walk The Moon

Blue October

Band Of Skulls

ZZ Ward

MS MR

Timeflies

Hoodie Allen

American Authors

Deap Vally

St. Lucia

Smallpools

Bear Hands

Morning Parade

Kitten

Magic Man

Jacuzzi Boys

Gringo Star

Unlikely Candidates

Vic Mensa

Terraplane Sun

Fly Union

And more…