Box Office’s best earn poor reviews: Fast and Furious 6

If it were not for the incessant, $100 million marketing campaign that its producers exploited, “Fast and Furious 6” may have been nicknamed “Trite and Repetitive 6: The Quest for Carnage.”

One would think that after five sequels, Americans would be wary of this franchise.  With a dialogue consisting of words not longer than 3 syllables, a cast of actors no better qualified than actors in a mid-day cabaret theatre and a storyline with more plot holes than a brick of Swiss cheese, “Fast and Furious” is to cinema as vinegar is to
baking soda.

In the movie, Dominic Toretto, played by Vin Diesel, is a recently retired professional criminal in exile who is persuaded by special agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) to catch an international arms smuggler in return for amnesty and safe passage to the U.S. 

Dominic, being the heist
genius he is, quickly assembles his former team of petty criminals who are now scattered across the globe living opulent lifestyles, afforded by their escapades in the first five franchise movies. An international rat race against time ensues, and the villain employs all kinds of cunning and maniacal plans to dissuade Toretto and his crew.

Admittedly, for all the adrenaline junkies, the movie is inundated with exquisitely executed pyrotechnics, high-velocity vehicle collisions and stunts just bold enough to make you flinch, including a highway chase scene that transitions from a turbo-charged tank pummeling incoming traffic to an all-out brawl aboard a jet carrier tumbling from the sky. For those who are willing to ignore just about every other aspect of this movie that matters, such as character development, cinematography and plot development, the special effects may be worth your while.

But with the nauseatingly predictable plot twists, a complete disregard for modern physics and a level of plausibility on par with Kristen Stewart winning an Oscar for best actress, the movie never, at any point, fails to
disappoint.

GRADE: D+