USF Health expands UPC space

Employees from the business side of USF Health are getting a little more room come August thanks to a new location at the University Professional Center (UPC).

USF Health renewed its lease for its 6,010-square-foot space and negotiated a new lease for about 9,000 additional square feet at the University Professional Center on Fletcher Avenue. Joseph Jackson, executive director of the USF Physicians Group, and Juan Vega, senior vice president of Cassidy Turley Commercial Real Estate Services, oversaw lease negotiations. Both leases dont take up the entire third and fifth floors.

Jackson said both leases were signed for five-year terms, and nothing was paid up front. When the three offices move into the third floor in August, the monthly rent will be $13,829.

Three USF offices currently located in the Medical Faculty Office Building (MFOB) which is in the USF Health quadrant of campus, will move to the third floor of the UPC, he said.

The offices will include the USF Health Insurance Group, which provides malpractice coverage for all USF clinical providers, and the Professional Integrity Office, which houses and runs the Professional Integrity Program for the USF Physicians Group and the Paper-free Florida Program, which is an initiative for paperless solutions, especially in the form of electronic health records.

The reason that these three areas are being moved off-site to the University Professional Center is to free up space for the USF physicians who are clinical faculty, Jackson said. They will have their academic(and) administrative offices within the Faculty Office Building.

Jackson said that though clinical physicians will continue to practice at the Carol and Frank Morsani Center for Advanced Healthcare, they will move their instructor and faculty offices to MFOB.

Jackson said that the third floor of the UPC is undergoing renovations, which will be completed in late July or early August. The three offices will move in as soon as they are finished.

Vega said he and his firm represent USF and its interest out in the marketplace when theyre looking for space or renegotiating leases.

I work closely with Joe and his team to make sure that were getting the best lease terms possible for USF, Vega said. Weve evaluated where the market was and negotiated a lease for USF Health.

Jackson said the development department of the Deans Office, which does all the fundraising for USF Health, and a USF Health medical records office will continue to operate from the fifth floor because of the renewed lease.