Holtz anticipates Eveld to start

Coach Skip Holtz told reporters Monday the team is preparing as if true freshman Bobby Eveld is going to start at quarterback when the Bulls host Connecticut on Saturday.

Holtz said Daniels, who re-aggravated a quad injury in the first half of USF’s 23-20 win at Miami on Saturday, will be re-evaluated later this week.

“Right now, it’s Bobby Eveld,” Holtz said of the team’s current quarterback situation. “We’ve got to find out what B.J. Daniels’ situation will be. He’s still really sore with where he is.”

Eveld, a walk-on from Jesuit High School in Tampa, replaced Daniels at the start of the second half and finished 8-of-15 for 120 and a touchdown (no interceptions) and led the Bulls on a game-tying touchdown drive late in the fourth quarter.

“Until we know something different, we’ve got to go like Bobby’s the quarterback until we get a little bit better word about where (Daniels is) going to be from a health standpoint as we see how he responds to treatment as we go through the week,” Holtz said.

Bulls can play spoiler

After damaging their chances in the conference title race after a loss to Pittsburgh on Nov. 20, the Bulls are now in a position to ruin Connecticut’s hopes of winning the Big East.

The Huskies, who enter the game having won four straight conference games, will be crowned Big East champs if they can knock off USF on Saturday.

With a UConn loss – combined with a win over Rutgers – the West Virginia Mountaineers would win the conference.

“At the end of the day, someone is going to excel in the conference, and someone is going to have to take the backseat,” Raymond said. “However that may play out, our only focus is to go out and be the best University of South Florida football team on the field Saturday.”

Eveld, Brockhaus-Kann honored

Freshman quarterback Bobby Eveld, who replaced an injured B.J. Daniels in the second half against Miami, was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll after going 8-of-15 passing for 120 yards and a touchdown.

Eveld, a walk-on, led the Bulls on a nine-play, 81-yard touchdown scoring drive that tied the game 17-17 late in the fourth quarter.

Additionally, punter Justin Brockhaus-Kann was named Big East Special Teams Player of the Week after averaging 41 yards on 10 punts against Miami.