Bulls in pros update: CB Murphy making impact

USF’s record 2010 draft class is starting to make its presence felt in the NFL.

Jerome Murphy, a starting cornerback for USF last season, tied a season-high with six tackles for the St. Louis Rams in their 34-17 loss to Atlanta on Sunday.

Murphy, drafted in the third round (65th overall), is eighth on the team with 25 tackles this season from his second-team cornerback position.

Also making an impact for the Rams is defensive end George Selvie, who has 17 tackles and 1.5 sacks this season. Selvie, who was drafted in the seventh round after one of the most decorated careers in USF history, had a season-high four tackles in the Rams’ 23-20 loss to San Francisco on Nov. 14.

Another member of USF’s secondary last season – safety Nate Allen – returned from a neck injury to gather three tackles, an assist and a pass defended for Philadelphia in its Sunday night win over the New York Giants.

Allen, drafted in the second round (37th overall), is fourth on the Eagles with 37 tackles. Listed second on the Eagles’ depth chart, according to ESPN, Allen also has three interceptions this season.

Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who became the highest drafted Bull in program history when he was taken in the first round (15th overall), has seen action in all 10 games this season from his second-string defensive end position, registering 10 tackles.

Former USF receiver Carlton Mitchell saw action in only his third game this season with Cleveland. Mitchell, drafted in the sixth round, hasn’t caught a pass this season.