Men grab victory

With only four games remaining before postseason play begins, the USF men’s soccer team (8-2-3) earned its second straight win by defeating West Virginia (7-4-2) 1-0 on Saturday night at the USF Soccer Stadium.

Senior forward Andre Mittoo scored the decisive goal in the 67th minute. It was his second goal of the season.

Senior goalkeeper Jeff Attinella recorded three saves for his sixth straight shutout, ensuring that the Bulls would need only one goal to win. Attinella hasn’t surrendered a goal since allowing four to Connecticut on Sept. 24. Attinella now has 10 shutouts this season and 28 for his career.

USF plays at Cincinnati on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

– Mike Manganello

Women, too

USF (8-4-3) entered the weekend looking to solidify its standing in the conference to earn a spot in the Big East tournament, and the team’s two decisive 1-0 victories enabled it to get closer to that goal.

Junior goalkeeper Nicole McClure picked up her seventh shutout this year, and sophomore midfielder Taylor Patterson scored her fourth goal of the season against Louisville (9-6-0) on Friday.

Junior midfielder Gina Pacheco broke through on Sunday against Cincinnati (8-8-1) in the 65th minute with a game-winning goal on an assist from Venicia Reid.

The Bulls are currently in fourth place in their division, with the top five teams making the tournament.

– Ali Rames