Top 5: Super Bowl snacks

Football and funny commercials aren’t the only attractions the Super Bowl offers every year.

Appetizers and finger foods to keep fans and party guests energized throughout the game are a must.

The Oracle rates five Super Bowl foods and provides some simple game-day recipes.

1. Buffalo chicken

Nothing is hotter during the Super bowl than a plate of saucy, spicy wings. They’re the perfect complement to a cold soda or beer. Whether homemade or delivered, this finger feast has become a staple at most Super Bowl parties, from backyard gatherings to sports bars.

For a simple buffalo chicken dip, buy and pick a rotisserie chicken. Beat together two packages of cream cheese, a cup of ranch dressing and 3/4 cup of buffalo sauce. Hand stir in shredded chicken, spread into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cover the dip in cheddar cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes.

2. Pizza

This pie is best served at the door, so you won’t miss a single play. Local pizza joints usually offer great deals on Super Bowl Sunday.

If you feel obligated to make your own pizza dish, try using Triscuits. Arrange the crackers on a cookie sheet and add a thin layer of pizza sauce to each one. Top with a slice of cheese trimmed to fit the cracker and an optional pepperoni.

Bake at 325 degrees until cheese is melted and serve. For dorm-ridden students, a microwave works, too.

3. Nachos

Cheese, meat, jalapeos, bacon: just pick your poison and grab a nacho. The possibilities are endless when it comes to topping this snack.

If you want to avoid the mess, try nachos in a bag. Buy a box of snack-sized Doritos, let the air out, and crush the chips in the bag. Cook ground beef in taco seasoning – follow the directions on the packet – and add to the bag of chips.

Finish off with other taco seasonings like lettuce, tomatoes and cheese, and eat with a spoon.

4. Cocktail franks

If it’s on a stick, it’s perfect for gameday. Cocktail franks are a treat you may have to make the night before, since they are best simmered in a crockpot overnight. Simmer in beer or any other liquid of your choice on medium-high heat for about two hours.

Spice up this finger food by serving with a variety of dipping sauces, also good for simmering in the crockpot. Try mixing 1 cup steak sauce with 1/4 cup of honey.

Franks can be consumed while cheering, screaming or jumping – though it’s advised you remove the toothpick first.

5. Chips and dip

Admittedly not the most inventive of Super Bowl foods, chips with dip or salsa are great snacks to nibble on during the game. They also can be decorative when placed in football-shaped bowls or in serving dishes that match your team’s colors.

For a refreshing appetizer, try fresh salsa with corn chips. Spread a layer of refried beans on the bottom of a casserole dish or pie plate. Top with a thin layer of sour cream, followed by guacamole and a layer of cheese.

Separately, chop two cups of tomato, half an onion, four cloves fresh garlic and one jalapeo. Mix this together with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of limejuice and chopped leaves of fresh cilantro. Layer this mixture over the dish and garnish with sliced pepperoncini for extra spice. Let sit for 30