Cornerback will play despite broken hand

Two players, two injuries to their left hands. Coach Jim Leavitt said after Wednesday’s practice that cornerback Jerome Murphy has broken his left hand and is playing with a cast, which was covered with a plastic bag due to the rain.

“He broke his left hand,” Leavitt said. “I thought it had already been said he had, but it’s broken. He’ll still play, it’s just like (linebacker Ben) Moffitt.”

Moffitt, a junior, injured his hand during fall drills and played the game against McNeese State with a cast on his left hand as well.

Murphy, a redshirt freshman, has played sparingly with five tackles in the Bulls’ two games and is a backup to cornerback Trae Williams.

Benzer still No. 1: Leavitt knows kicker Mike Benzer is struggling, but also believes he is still working hard to keep his job. The Orlando native is 0-for-5 in field-goal attempts since 2005 when he was replaced by Kyle Bronson, who now plays for Texas State. Leavitt said Wednesday he has plenty of faith in Benzer.

“Benzer looked real good (Wednesday),” Leavitt said. “I’ve never faltered on him or lost confidence in him.”

Leavitt also said if Benzer continues to struggle that freshman punter Delbert Alvarado, who already replaced Ilia Petrov, will be his next option.