Leavitt names Julmiste starter

Last week, USF waited until near game time to announce a starting quarterback, but there will be no such suspense in week three.

Coach Jim Leavitt announced Pat Julmiste will start as quarterback Saturday at TCU. Julmiste was named the starter going into the season but injured a knee in the opener against Tennessee Tech. After he was limited in practice leading up to the South Carolina game, Ronnie Banks got the nod instead.

Despite the injury and lack of reps in practice, Julmiste saw time against the Gamecocks. He came in midway through the third quarter with limited success. He completed two of 10 passes for seven yards.

Monday, Julmiste worked with the first-team offense while Banks worked with the second team.

“Going into our first game he was our starter,” Leavitt said. “He got hurt there and couldn’t play. We weren’t going to play him (Saturday). He really wasn’t ready.”

Banks was able to move the ball, but was unable to get the Bulls into the end zone. He completed 12 of 22 passes for 104 yards with one interception.

USF didn’t score a touchdown for only the fifth time in school history. The furthest the Bulls got was the USC 26-yard line.

“They’re embarrassed,” quarterback coach Rod Smith said. “That’s a low point they’ve had.”

Smith said both quarterbacks played well in their first practice back since losing 34-3 to the Gamecocks.

“It’s amazing,” Smith said. “We were night and day. That’s the level we’ve got to have them playing at. Both of them were very good today.”

Julmiste will face a TCU defense that gave up 70 points to Texas Tech on Saturday. The Red Raiders passed for 471 of their 586 total yards against the Horned Frogs.

Jones update: Johnnie Jones practiced without shoulder pads. Coach Rick Kravitz said he was not on limited reps. Jones injured his shoulder in the first half against South Carolina.