Banowsky C-USA’s new commish

Britton Banowsky became the new Commissioner of Conference USA Monday. The move was announced by Dr. James H. Woodward, chancellor at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and chair of the Board of Directors. Banowsky, who will become the league’s second commissioner, agreed to a multi-year contract. He begins his duties at C-USA Dec. 1.

“I think Britton is the ideal person to serve as the second Commissioner of C-USA,” said Woodward. “His experiences have prepared him well to provide the leadership for the continuing development of our conference.”

Banowsky, a licensed attorney in the state of Texas, has more than 13 years experience as a collegiate conference administrator. He comes to C-USA from the Big 12 Conference, where he served as associate commissioner for the past six years. Banowsky was instrumental in laying the organizational foundation for the Big 12 prior to its official launch in July 1996.

Since the formation of the Big 12, he has been responsible for management of the conference’s legal affairs, including the administration of television, bowl and championship agreements.

“I am truly pleased to have the opportunity to serve the members of C-USA,” Banowsky said. “The conference is clearly committed to excellence in all of its activities and has a very bright future. I look forward to meeting the coaches and administrators and getting started.”

Prior to joining the Big 12, the 42-year-old Banowsky was the commissioner of the Southland Conference. During his tenure at the Southland, he incorporated the conference, engaged its Board of Directors, negotiated a television agreement, founded a corporate sponsorship program and directed a conference-wide initiative to develop women’s athletics. He was also significantly involved in the expansion of the Southland Football League, one of the nation’s premier Division I-AA football conferences.

Banowsky was an assistant commissioner at the Southland for three years before joining the former Southwest Conference as an assistant commissioner. While at the old SWC, Banowsky was responsible for the league’s legal affairs and compliance activities.

Perkins picked

Bulls goalkeeper Troy Perkins was named Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for his efforts against No. 14 Saint Louis in a 2-1 Bulls victory Saturday.

Perkins made a series of crucial saves that denied C-USA’s defending champion and top team its 10th straight win.

“I’ve thought that there have been a few weeks from earlier this season when he should have been recognized, so I’m especially happy for him now,” said USF coach George Kiefer.

The first of Perkins’ four saves was also the most improbable, as he denied the Billikens’ leading scorer, Jason Cole, from less than six yards away with a sharp diving save off his legs. Four minutes before halftime, Perkins went airborne to stymie Jack Jewsbury, the C-USA Preseason Player of the Year. Jewsbury had sent a 22-yard shot toward the upper right corner of the goal, but Perkins stretched and plucked the ball out of its goal-bound path.

Cole later scored, but goals by Brandon Streicher and Jason Gil secured the win for USF (9-3, 4-2 in C-USA).

The award is the second of Perkins’ career. He also won the weekly honor last season after posting two shutouts in the Bulls’ first two games, against Lafayette and Florida International.

A junior from Worthington, Ohio, Perkins has played in every match this season and has a goals-against average of 1.08. He also leads the conference with five shutouts this season, to go with seven last year.