Bearcat bats beat up Bulls

Cincinnati’s hitting steamrolled through the Bulls’ pitching staff this weekend as the Bearcats claimed two of three from USF.

Sunday, USF (21-15, 8-7 in Conference USA) watched as the Bearcats (15-19-1, 4-10-1) pounded out 14 hits in an 11-1 thrashing. Bulls’ starter John Gorham lasted five innings, allowing nine runs, all earned, on 11 hits. UC left fielder Jake Smith inflicted the most damage, touching up Gorham for a three-run homer in the first to open the Bearcats’ scoring and a RBI single in the third.Sunday’s effort paled in comparison to the deluge of offense Cincinnati supplied Friday. The Bearcats set a school record and tied the C-USA mark by blasting eight home runs off Bulls’ pitching in a 13-12 10-inning victory.

UC designated hitter Joey List was the worst offender, homering three times in five at-bats. List, normally a pitcher, was making just his second start at DH and had no home runs coming into the game. The Bulls brought some power of their own as Devin Ivany had a two-run blast in the fourth, and Scott Rachlin went yard with a two-out grand slam in the sixth to put USF in front 10-6. But the USF relief corps couldn’t contain the UC offense, which had 20 hits in back-to-back games, as the Bearcats rallied from a 12-7 eighth-inning deficit to win on Justin Niefer’s single in the 10th off Steve Palinkas.

The Bulls saved some face by holding off UC 7-5 Saturday. Sophomore Myron Leslie went 3-for-4 for the Bulls with two runs scored, and Mike Barclay was 2-for-3 with two RBI and two runs.

Staff Report