Bulls lose two close ones

This past weekend, the women’s soccer team played two conference matches, but fell short against Texas Christian on Friday night and Houston Sunday afternoon.Against TCU, the Bulls lost 4-3 and after two overtime periods Houston won 2-1.

In the 22nd minute of Sunday’s match, the Cougars went ahead after a number of missed shots and ricochets. The score remained 1-0 at halftime.

The match started getting exciting around the 80th minute, as more organized offense from the Bulls (4-7-2, 1-4-1 in C-USA) resulted in more substantial plays. At the 82nd minute, USF’s Stine Hagh sent a solid pass to freshman Kim Martins, who described her first goal as a college player as ” the best feeling in my life, so far.”

The Bulls gained momentum both defensively as well as offensively after Martins’ goal but the teams remained tied at the end of regulation time. That meant they had to play two overtime periods of 15 minutes each until one team would score.

In the second overtime, after a tough fight (19 fouls called on each team), the Cougars (3-8-1, 2-4) scored the winning goal through a back-heel past goalkeeper Valerie Wetzel.

“You work so hard and you don’t capitalize at the end … you can’t help but feel hurt,” USF forward Aleia Long said. USF coach Logan Fleck agreed saying, “We are not happy with the result … we were trading good opportunities … yet we gave up mental errors that showed our youngness.”

However, the Bulls showed pride in their effort, as Jamie Anderson said, “The score, it’s not always indicative of the game.”

Friday night, USF (4-6-2, 1-3-1) played an aggressive match against C-USA newcomer TCU (7-6-0, 3-3). However the Bulls stumbled with a 4-3 loss vs. the Horned Frogs.

The Bulls started off the game confidently by dominating the ball in TCU’s half for several minutes. In the 13th minute, USF capitalized by scoring the first goal of the night by Long with the assist from Amy Wallsmith. Then, in the 35th minute of the match, the Bulls scored their second goal. It was a well placed cross by Martins, who saw Laura Tucker open as she beautifully headed it into TCU’s net.

“That was the prettiest goal we’ve scored all year long,” said Fleck.

At halftime, up 2-1, Fleck warned his players to watch for the Cougars to pressure for the first 15 minutes of the second half.

“If the stove is too hot, don’t touch it, (but)they did,” Fleck said. Only three minutes into the second half, the Horned Frogs’ perseverance paid off as they scored their second goal.

“We allowed them to make plays into our defensive space and that didn’t help our keeper a lot,” said Fleck.

Seven minutes later, USF failed to gain its momentum back as TCU repeated by scoring its third goal.

“A two-goal lead, it’s one of the most dangerous ones… you have to take advantage of the opportunities you create,” Fleck said. In the 70th minute, TCU scored its fourth goal, courtesy of Jenny Swanson.

Nevertheless, USF created a number of scoring opportunities in its offensive third. In the 76th minute, the Bulls saw the outcome of their pressure as the Norwegian connection – Stine Hagh and Rachel Thjomoe assisting Christine Koester – attained USF’s third and final goal.

USF’s goalkeeper carousel continued, as starter Breck Bankester went out with a back injury. She was replaced by Alicia Bostain.

In the crowd, USF President Judy Genshaft was there to show her support. In return, the women’s team presented her with an honorary soccer ball signed by all the players.

• Contact Vanessa Garnica at oraclesports@yahoo.com