Sports lecture series brings entertainment industry insiders
Four leaders of the sports entertainment industry, two of whom are the former agent of Michael Jordan and the first African American woman to own a professional sports team, will take part in the second annual Sports and Entertainment Lecture Series today and tomorrow.
Hosted by USF, Fox Sports Florida and the Tampa Bay Lightning, the lectures are free to the public and will be held in the Marshall Student Center Oval Theater.
While the speakers are all in the sports industry, USF Sports and Entertainment Management Program graduate assistant Rhyan Truett said they each draw from different experiences in the field.
The series begins today at 4 p.m. with Kenneth Feld, who will speak on how the field of sports entertainment is radically changing.
Feld is the CEO of Feld Entertainment, which operates many notable acts such as Monster Jam, Disney on Ice and Ringling Bros.
Later tonight at 7 p.m., Sheila Johnson will speak to students about her experiences in executive positions of the sports industry.
Johnson became the first U.S. African American woman to become a billionaire, among many other accomplishments. She is the co-founder of BET, the president of the Washington Mystics WNBA team and the CEO of Salamander Hotels and Resorts.
She was also the first African American woman to be a partner in three professional sports teams, including the Washington Wizards, the Washington Capital and the Washington Mystics.
On Wednesday at 4 p.m., Don Marinelli will speak about his personal and professional relationship with the writer of “The Last Lecture,” Randy Pausch, the New York Times bestselling author of the popular book about a professor who imparts his wisdom before dying from cancer.
Marinelli also spent 31 years at Carnegie Mellon and co-founded the Dream Fulfillment Factory.
David Falk will conclude this year’s series on Wednesday, at 7 p.m. Considered the most influential basketball agent in sports history, he will talk about his long career representing over 100 NBA players.
Falk is credited with coining the iconic term “Air Jordan” when negotiating Michael Jordan’s Nike contract. He was listed as one of the Top 50 marketers in the U.S. by Advertising Age, and was named one of the 100 most powerful people in sports by Sporting News for 12 consecutive years.
Truett said the speakers were brought to campus so the student and Tampa community could learn from the nation’s best sports minds.
“They’re so successful in their respective fields that their lessons can translate into any other business or career paths,” Truett said. “They’ve built careers that anyone can learn from.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- SG president still has shot at BOT seat
- Kheireddine hopes past connections help future goals
- Bulls lose Merrell and McClanahan, win series at Memphis
- Men’s and women’s tennis win AAC titles, clinch NCAA Tournament berth
- Despite common belief, Florida trails far from flat
- March for Science: We’re not going away
- Kheireddine and Kent officially sworn into office
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas