Scott reveals education budget
Gov. Rick Scotts budget was met with baited breath by higher education institutions when it was released last week.
As USF President Judy Genshaft stood to his left, Scott unveiled the details of his $74 billion budget, the largest budget in Floridas history. His announcements surrounding education were met with smiles including higher education.
Scotts proposal will maintain the last years level of funding and restore $118 million of the $300 million cut from the State University System last year and provide an additional $167 million to be divided between the 12 state universities based on performance.
Genshaft and the other state university presidents had previously banded together in a campaign called Aim Higher that worked to see the full $300 million restored and an additional $118 million in performance-based funding added in return for keeping tuition status quo something Scott has long advocated for.
Scott also released an idea for a bill that would freeze the rate of tuition for students who graduate in four years, so tuition does not increase during the course of their matriculation. The plan, Finish in Four, seeks to incentivize keeping tuition low and raising four-year graduation rates something USF has received harsh questioning from the Board of Governors about.
The Legislature will begin discussing the governors proposal this week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Good Dental Care: Make It Safe
- Gran promesa latina lanza línea de moda para el...
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
- 5 Ways to Raise Capital and Start a Business
- Have Chronic Pain? Here's a Safer Alternative to Opioids
- Military Training Happens Virtually in Florida
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS
- beIN SPORTS ANNOUNCES 2016-17 CONFERENCE USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
- GoFundMe to Award $100,000 in College Scholarships
- 5 Hacks for Back-to-College Planning with Amazon