Scott reveals education budget
Gov. Rick Scotts budget was met with baited breath by higher education institutions when it was released last week.
As USF President Judy Genshaft stood to his left, Scott unveiled the details of his $74 billion budget, the largest budget in Floridas history. His announcements surrounding education were met with smiles including higher education.
Scotts proposal will maintain the last years level of funding and restore $118 million of the $300 million cut from the State University System last year and provide an additional $167 million to be divided between the 12 state universities based on performance.
Genshaft and the other state university presidents had previously banded together in a campaign called Aim Higher that worked to see the full $300 million restored and an additional $118 million in performance-based funding added in return for keeping tuition status quo something Scott has long advocated for.
Scott also released an idea for a bill that would freeze the rate of tuition for students who graduate in four years, so tuition does not increase during the course of their matriculation. The plan, Finish in Four, seeks to incentivize keeping tuition low and raising four-year graduation rates something USF has received harsh questioning from the Board of Governors about.
The Legislature will begin discussing the governors proposal this week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities