MLK Day should be reserved for service
When President Barack Obama was publicly sworn into office for his second term on Monday, his inaugural address was filled with hope, and talk of equality for all minorities, fitting for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
But the day typically devoted to service across the country thus became a day devoted to politics.
As well-intentioned as Obama may have been and as symbolic as it may have been for the first African-American president to have been inaugurated on the day devoted to a civil rights pioneer, the Inauguration Day festivities detracted from the social change intended to be
Each year, millions participate in King Day of Service. While millions, continued to this year as well, more than 800,000 people attended Inauguration day festivities, likely several million more watched on television and an entire day was devoted to media analysts and pundits dissecting Obamas speech and plans for his second term.
While Obama spoke of wanting to see equality for all groups of individuals in society, what may have been more inspiring to a country of doers would be to see their leader in action serving those groups on this day as opposed to hearing a beautiful elocution of dreams.
Though the speech carried impact, actions would have carried more.
While Jan. 20, the date enscribed in U.S. Constitution as Inauguration Day, fell on a Sunday, the festivities that accompany it should have been pushed to a later date to preserve the sanctity of MLK day.
Though Obama is not the first president to be sworn in on this federal holiday, he could have taken action to prove that Washington is not a city that is bound by archaic rules written by irrelevant forefathers, but one that is constantly enacting change in society to best serve all citizens.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections