Housing owes residents better communication
Losing power for more than 10 hours is frustrating, but not knowing why power is gone, or for how long it will be gone, is unreasonable.
When the Juniper-Poplar residence halls last power for almost half a day yesterday, few knew what was going on nor what to expect. Residents and Resident Assistants (RAs) alike were in a state of confusion. Rumors swirled as to whether power would be back in the building before Tuesday.
While the Department of Housing and Residential Education is not to blame for the power cuts, an issue that was resolved by TECO around 10:30 p.m., they certainly owed the rent-paying tenants and RAs of the building better communication.
RAs told their residents they were unaware of what was going on and residents waited in limbo, with their laundry partially done and homework in various states of completion.
In the event that a more serious emergency occurs, it is essential that lines of communications are well in place. RAs said they heard nothing from their supervisors, and by the time someone at the Information Desk had information to provide, it was late in the evening, and few students were still aware of the situation.
When the Super Dome lost power for 35 minutes during the Super Bowl game, communication with those inside the building was essential in preventing pandemonium.
In situations such as Sundays power cuts, it is essential that every student in the dorms is aware of what is going on even if the answer is that no one is sure yet. Frustration can only be quelled through appropriate communication.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections