Housing owes residents better communication
Losing power for more than 10 hours is frustrating, but not knowing why power is gone, or for how long it will be gone, is unreasonable.
When the Juniper-Poplar residence halls last power for almost half a day yesterday, few knew what was going on nor what to expect. Residents and Resident Assistants (RAs) alike were in a state of confusion. Rumors swirled as to whether power would be back in the building before Tuesday.
While the Department of Housing and Residential Education is not to blame for the power cuts, an issue that was resolved by TECO around 10:30 p.m., they certainly owed the rent-paying tenants and RAs of the building better communication.
RAs told their residents they were unaware of what was going on and residents waited in limbo, with their laundry partially done and homework in various states of completion.
In the event that a more serious emergency occurs, it is essential that lines of communications are well in place. RAs said they heard nothing from their supervisors, and by the time someone at the Information Desk had information to provide, it was late in the evening, and few students were still aware of the situation.
When the Super Dome lost power for 35 minutes during the Super Bowl game, communication with those inside the building was essential in preventing pandemonium.
In situations such as Sundays power cuts, it is essential that every student in the dorms is aware of what is going on even if the answer is that no one is sure yet. Frustration can only be quelled through appropriate communication.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Bedbugs found in USF business classrooms
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
- Hearing Loss Takes Center Stage With Free Test
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016