Housing owes residents better communication
Losing power for more than 10 hours is frustrating, but not knowing why power is gone, or for how long it will be gone, is unreasonable.
When the Juniper-Poplar residence halls last power for almost half a day yesterday, few knew what was going on nor what to expect. Residents and Resident Assistants (RAs) alike were in a state of confusion. Rumors swirled as to whether power would be back in the building before Tuesday.
While the Department of Housing and Residential Education is not to blame for the power cuts, an issue that was resolved by TECO around 10:30 p.m., they certainly owed the rent-paying tenants and RAs of the building better communication.
RAs told their residents they were unaware of what was going on and residents waited in limbo, with their laundry partially done and homework in various states of completion.
In the event that a more serious emergency occurs, it is essential that lines of communications are well in place. RAs said they heard nothing from their supervisors, and by the time someone at the Information Desk had information to provide, it was late in the evening, and few students were still aware of the situation.
When the Super Dome lost power for 35 minutes during the Super Bowl game, communication with those inside the building was essential in preventing pandemonium.
In situations such as Sundays power cuts, it is essential that every student in the dorms is aware of what is going on even if the answer is that no one is sure yet. Frustration can only be quelled through appropriate communication.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program