English department professor placed on leave after misconduct allegations

By Jesse Stokes, MANAGING EDITOR
On April 4, 2018

Joe Moxley’s pay and benefits will not be impacted until a decision is reached regarding the discrimination allegations. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE.

The director of the First-Year Composition Program, Joe Moxley, who has served as an employee of the English Department since 1984 was notified of his administrative leave on March 19 in a letter from College of Arts and Sciences Dean Eric Eisenberg.

Administrative leave is different from a suspension, as it is pending an official investigative decision, and Moxley’s pay and benefits will not be impacted until a decision is reached, according to the letter. 

“The University has received notice of allegations concerning your conduct that appear to be inconsistent with University Regulations, Policies and Procedures,” Eisenberg wrote in the letter. 

According to the letter, Moxley being placed on administrative leave does not mean that he is at fault in the allegations regarding misconduct, but rather, that a “prudential step (is being) taken to ensure the integrity and efficiency of the University’s review.”

Moxley could not be reached for comment by way of phone or email by  9:30 p.m. Wednesday. 

According to the letter sent by Eisenberg, until a decision is made, Moxley is not permitted to enter the space where his office currently sits and his access to his office building will be “temporarily disconnected.”

“This administrative leave is effective immediately and will remain in place until you are otherwise notified by management,” Eisenberg wrote in the letter. 

Eisenberg said in an interview with The Oracle Title IX investigators are looking into the allegations with hopes of their investigation being complete by sometime in June. 

Eisenberg said he is not aware nor able to touch on the specifics of the allegations, though he explained that the message to potential victims of misconduct is clear: say something. 

“The most important thing is to speak up and to use the resources on campus,” Eisenberg said. “If a student comes forward to any faculty member in the university and says there is any sexual harassment or discrimination, the faculty member is required under federal law to report that exchange.”

Eisenberg also said he wanted to assure students that problems such as misconduct are not to be taken lightly. 

“If you have a problem, it is going to be addressed,” Eisenberg said.