Stetson’s Gonzalez shuts down USF 5-3

ORACLE PHOTO/THOMAS PRETTYMAN

USF (18-8, 2-1) was unable to get anything going offensively most of the night against Stetson (20-5), falling to the Hatters 5-3 at the USF Baseball Stadium on Tuesday night. 

Stetson junior right-handed pitcher Joey Gonzalez stole the show. Between the third and sixth innings, Gonzalez allowed only three USF baserunners, which included a streak of 11 Bulls retired in a row. 

Gonzalez allowed three earned runs over seven innings while striking out nine en route to his sixth win of the season. The three earned runs charged to Gonzalez brought his ERA up to 0.99 after entering the night with the second lowest ERA in the nation at 0.31.

Stetson took the lead early, scoring two runs off USF freshman right-handed pitcher Baron Stuart in the top of the first inning. Stuart pitched three innings and allowed just the two runs.

USF answered back in the bottom half on a wild pitch that allowed junior Coco Montes to score. However, the Bulls were unable to do anymore damage in the inning and Gonzalez settled in.

Both offenses went quiet for the next few innings until the Hatters added two runs in the seventh and an additional run in the eighth.

The Bulls answered with two runs in the bottom of the eighth on runs by Montes and senior Duke Stunkel Jr., but were unable to do anymore damage as Stetson senior right-hander Brooks Wilson shut the door and collected his 10th save of the season.

The win by Stetson ties the all-time series at 85 wins apiece. 

The Bulls will look to keep their two-game conference winning streak going as they take on Tulane at home in a three-game series. First pitch Thursday is scheduled for 7 p.m.