SG Senate votes to extend Court hours due to election grievances

By Miki Shine, Managing Editor
On March 7, 2017

Moneer Kheireddine and Shaquille Kent received 5,385, to unofficial win last week's SG election for student body president and vice president.

However, the election is far from over and it could take up to four weeks to declare an official winner  

There are four major and 12 minor grievances filed against Kheireddine and Kent before voting ended Thursday, while their opponents, Ryan Soscia and Logan Holland, had three major and 10 minor filed against them, according to Jennifer Bielen, assistant director for Student Government Advising, Training and Operations. It would take one major or seven minor grievances to disqualify one of the tickets.

The major grievances will be examined by the SG Supreme Court. In part due to the number of grievances, Tuesday night the Senate voted 16-2 to pass a bill that changes when the Court can call trials.

The bill changes SG statutes to state “trials procedure can only occur when the university is in session.” Essentially, it would allow the Court to meet after 5 p.m. when SG is officially closed.

Senate President Aladdin Hiba pushed the bill onto Tuesday’s agenda without making it go through the Policy committee due to the amount of work currently on the Court’s plate. However, he also said it will free up the Court in general and make the judicial branch policy line up with the legislative and executive branch policies such as the Senate meeting at 6 on Tuesday evenings.

“The judicial branch was having difficulty scheduling meetings where everyone could attend,” Hiba said. “Meetings at 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. people could still show up, but there were no times during the business days, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., that everyone who needed to be there could be there.

“This is a decision that would be better that it was made sooner rather than later … rather than have that happen after spring break or two to three weeks from now. By then it would have been too late to have an impact (with the grievances).”

The bill still needs to be signed by Student Body President Chris Griffin in order to pass, but would take effect right after he signs it rather than waiting until next term. By freeing up times for the Court to meet, it would be able to get through the grievances more efficiently.

Bielen said, after the results announcement, that it could take up to four weeks to review the grievances.

In addition to the major grievances being investigated by the Court, the 22 minor grievances will be reviewed by the Election Rules Committee. The process has already begun.